BIRLA VISHVAKARMA MAHAVIDYALAYA
· A PREMIER INSTITUTION OF CVM
· FOUNDED IN 1948
· Motto: Work is Worship
· First Approved by Government as grant paid College
· More than 16000 engineers Graduated.
· Degrees offered – B.E., M.E. and PhD
The starting days
The infrastructure of the college was generously designed for three year degree programme with an intake of 150 students every year. The main building (now known as A Block) had class rooms and laboratories. Workshops and heat engine laboratory, drawing hall, hydraulics laboratory and boiler house were separately constructed. Shri Gordhanbhai I Patel of M/s Gordhandas Desai & Co was authorized to proceed to Europe and UK to purchase equipment for workshops, laboratories and surveying. The college thus started with the best of the equipments.
BVM produces a baby - a Search Institute:
In 1979, BVM was called upon to establish an institute working entirelyfor research, developmgnt, training and extension work in the area of renewable sources of energy particular for rural application. Dr. R M Dave took great pains in establishing the Jyoti Solar Energy Institute. The institute(later renamed as Sardar Patel renewable Energy Research Institute) has now developed into a full - fledged institute warking independently in the vital area of renewable energy.
· Land : 18.96 acres
· Builtup area : 35704.00 sq.m.
Outstanding facilities :
A spacious hall on the south end of the ground floor of the main building which at one time housed the college library was converted in 1989 into a modern – Auditorium with a capacity of 350 seates and complete with acoustical treatment, light, sound and projection facilities. The Auditorium is beautifully carpeted and curtained and is rated todays as one of the best Auditorium on Vallabh Vidyanagar campus.
The Mechanical Engineering building has a Conference Room installed with complete audio-visual facilities for a capacity of 40 seats.
The college workshop was reorganized to establish laboratories for the Production Engineering programme and to house new and sophisticated machines. On south side of the workshop a new building has come up for Civil & Production Engineering Laboratories. The building is constructed at a cost of Rs. 40 lakhs .
Principal S B Junnarkar Guest House has a facility of well furnished 10 guest rooms at the second floor of newly constracted liabrary Building is constructed with the estimated cost of Rs.60 lakhs is added to BVM infrastructure.
A Multipurpose Hall with donation from L&T(with the help of CEO Er. Anil Nayak a BVMite) is also an addition to the services of alma mater.
Computer Centres of Civil, Structural, Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering are also available for students and faculties with internet connectivity.
College Canteen and conference room near Principal's office have been face lifted during 2006.
BVM enters in to IT Era
The Computer Center was established in 1985 and is being continuously Upgraded and expanded. Initially it had a UNIX-based minicomputer with Sixteen terminals and a number of PC/XTs and PC/ATs providing DOS Environment. A high resolution work station with sophisticated softwarewas also available. In addition, the college installed personal computers in each department to meet the departmental requirements. Currently, college is equipped with approx. 750 computers with good configuration like P4 and above.
BVM gets Self-financed mode programs
Two more IT related course are now run by BVM. One in 2001-02, 60 seats was approved by AICTE in Information Technology. Second one was also approved by AICTE in academic year 2006-07 with 60 seats in Electronics and Telecommunication.
Recently in 2012, two more existing courses, Mechanical and Production Engineering has been granted 30 seats each in Self-financed Mode by AICTE
Affiliations of the College
· Bombay University JUNE 1948 - May 1951
· Gujarat University JUNE 1951 - May 1957
· Sardar Vallabhbhai Vdiyapeeth JUNE 1957 to JUNE 2008
(Re-named as Sardar Patel University from 1966)
. Gujarat Technological University JUNE 2008 Onwards
BVM became the grant-in-aid institution of the State Government in 1958 and slowly grants from the State as well as Central Government started trickling in. The Ministry of Works & Housing Govenment of India, Started a Rural Housing Wing from 1st January 1959. Principal of BVM, was named as the Ex-officio Director of the Wing. The wing was later renamed as a Regional Housing Development Centre. The Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India recognized BVM in 1984 as one of the centers for training in-service engineers in Environmental Engineering through postgraduate programmed of M E (Environmental Engineering) (the programmed was run by the institute earlier since 1979..)